Sunday, October 11, 2009

Welcome - Day One

We met today on a chilly Sunday in the misty air, some of us a bit timid and scared, unsure if we would be able to run even the required three mile pace run. After a few words from the leaders, we were all divided into groups and set off on the start of our journey.

For me, the journey ended at 40 minutes, 15 seconds. This placed me with all of you - in the 14 minute mile group - which is, I believe, the best place to be!

Meeting each of you today was fantastic - it puts my mind at ease knowing that I'll see you on Sunday - that we are all taking on this endeavor together, and that somehow, we will help each other along during this incredible journey!

Welcome - and remember today; after this pace run our lives will never be the same!

As a way to get to know the others in our group, I am posting a question - please take time to introduce yourself and answer:

Today's Question: Why are you running? What guided you to join the National AIDS Marathon Training Program to train for the 2010 Los Angeles Marathon?

I look forward to hearing from each of you!

Best,

Kyle

5 comments:

  1. Hey Everyone!

    My name is Annette and I'm really excited to be training with all of you!

    To answer today's question... I started running on my own about 2 years ago, hoping to do a marathon someday. I got up to 8 miles of non-stop running, but had to stop earlier this year due to a knee injury. I haven't been running all this year and I figured when I started again, it would have to be with a group of professionals.
    I randomly saw a poster for the AIDS Marathon group at a Starbucks on a Sunday, went on the website on Monday, and found myself at an information meeting Monday night. I signed up that night!
    A real motivation for me is that I am getting married in 6 months (3 weeks after Race Day). Not only do I think it would be a great accomplishment to do this last big thing before I get married, but I also think it's a great way to get into shape for the big day and look nice in a wedding dress! I just hope my feet will still work on the dance floor after all this running....

    I'm excited to see you all Sunday and getting in those 4 miles! Thanks for setting up this blog, Kyle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Everyone!!

    It was nice meeting all of you and I look forward to training with you all over the next 5 months.

    I have never really ran before nor did I ever think I was going to run. I am very nervous and excited at the same time. I am going to get thru this with the support from all of you guys and my family and friends.

    I am running for as few reasons my son's are the main reason I am running I want them to see that anything is possible and of course I am doing this becasue it is a great cause and love helping people anyway that I can.

    Look forward to see all of you on Sundays and LET'S ROCK & ROLL :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Marathonners!

    It was nice getting to know everyone and I am excited yet nervous. I have never ever run before, mainly because i have asthma. So for me this is about challenging myself and my body to do what it has never done before...RUN! I have also just turned thirty, so i felt this would be an awesome accomplishment. The main reason for me running is that I feel the need to give back, my life has been so blessed this year amongst all of the difficulties in this tough economic year. I work at APLA, and know that the services our clients receive here are essential to their livelyhood, so like all of you I have taken on this challengee to also do what ever I can to help.

    Looking forward to the journey ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello team members!!

    I am excited to say I'm challenging myself to accomplish this terrific goal and you should be too! No matter what the outcome.. remember everyone gets an A for effort!! I used to do the Aidswalk in Royal Oak Michigan where I'm from and never had I thought a marathon!!! My main reason for this marathon is because I've lost an uncle to this horrible disease...so I do it for him and everyone else who it effects. Now lets make difference!!!

    Look forward to seeing you guys again!!!

    farrah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well hello!

    I am a week behind in joining this blog but I feel HONORED to be in this pace group! Thanks to no one being in mine I was able to move up 30 seconds! Woo hoo!

    My name is Hartley and I haven't always been a runner.

    As a matter of fact, I used to hate running! Earlier this year my parents and I bought a treadmill and I figured it made sense to start using it. Since then I've been pushing myself to consistently run and it seemed to be working. Then I saw the AIDS flyers in the cafe where I work and thought, "Marathon...I could run a marathon!" Little did I know marathons were TWENTY SIX MILES! But after careful consideration, I decided I could do it as long I put my mind to it.

    Not to mention I have two family members that suffer from AIDS. While they are not terminal, I have seen what it can do to someone's body and spirit.

    So let's go out there and run like hell! See ya Sunday!
    Hartley

    ReplyDelete